Welcome to Friends of Lums Pond, Inc., a dedicated nonprofit organization committed to the preservation and enhancement of Lums Pond State Park, Delaware's natural gem. Established in 2002, we are a passionate group of volunteers operating independently from Delaware State Parks. Our mission is to safeguard and enrich the park through meticulous needs assessment, transformative enhancement projects, effective public relations, and engaging educational initiatives.
We volunteer, fund raise to support special park needs, educate, and advocate for our park. We are a registered 501c3 non-profit organization operating under a Friends agreement with the Division of Parks and Recreation. We adhere to Delaware State Parks Standards for Friends Organizations. All duly enrolled, participating members are considered Division volunteers.
We proudly stand as an independent entity, separate from State Park Management, which allows us the flexibility and freedom to pursue our mission with unwavering dedication and creativity.
- Preservation: At the heart of our mission is the protection and preservation of Lums Pond State Park. We tirelessly work to ensure the park's ecological integrity and natural beauty are conserved for future generations.
- Engagement: Through educational programs, community outreach, and public relations efforts, we aim to foster a deep appreciation for the park's unique ecosystem and recreational opportunities.
- Enhancement: We are committed to enhancing the park's facilities and amenities, creating a welcoming environment for all visitors. This includes maintaining trails, improving recreational areas, and supporting sustainable initiatives.
Our collective efforts are aimed at achieving several key goals:
- Public Awareness: Increase public awareness and membership to strengthen our impact.
- Park Beautification: Maintain the park's natural beauty through landscaping efforts.
- Trail Care: Assist in the upkeep of multiuse trails for horseback riders and mountain bikers.
- Cleanliness: Ensure the park remains a clean and pristine destination for all.
- Fundraising: Raise funds to support the enhancement of park facilities and amenities.
When you join Friends of Lums Pond, you become an integral part of our mission. As a member, you enjoy a range of benefits:
- Voting Power: Have a say in important decisions that shape the park's future.
- Election of Officers: Participate in the selection of leadership.
- Project Participation: Get involved in exciting enhancement projects.
- Funds Allocation: Contribute to the allocation of funds for park improvements.
- Shared Goals: Work together with like-minded individuals to make positive changes and new developments at Lums Pond State Park.
- Event Notifications: Stay informed about park events and meetings.
- Community: Socialize with fellow park enthusiasts who share your passion.
- Annual Park Pass: Any volunteer with 100 or more volunteer hours will receive an annual park pass that grants access to all of the state parks in Delaware.
Board of Directors
Our leadership team is hard at work behind the scenes. They meet directly with the park staff and keep us aligned to our mission and goals. We hold elections for board positions, so please reach out if you have motivation to help steer the future of our group!
Do you need to contact the board? Send an email
- President:Kate Hartnett
- Vice President:Clara Robbs
- Treasurer:Mike Waldon
- Secretary:Bryan Mey
- Director:Chriss Funcheon
- Director:Bob Conley
- Director:Edward Binasiewicz
Lums Pond is a Delaware treasure, boasting the distinction of being the state's largest freshwater pond, covering 200 acres of the original 1790 tract that now constitutes Lums Pond State Park. The park's rich history dates back to 1963 when it first became a state park. However, its origins trace to the early 1800s when the damming of St. Georges Creek and the construction of the C&D Canal created the iconic pond. Before this transformation, the creek flowed through a hardwood forest, serving as a hunting ground for Native American communities. The pond's waters powered the canal locks and a nearby mill.
Lums Pond State Park offers a diverse array of features and amenities to delight visitors of all ages:
- Scenic Trails: Explore over 10 miles of picturesque hiking and biking trails.
- Picnic Areas: Enjoy shaded spots for picnicking and relaxation.
- Playground: Children aged 5-12 can have a blast on our playground, divided into age-appropriate sections.
- Nature Center: Immerse yourself in the wonders of nature through year-round programming, including day camps, field trips, and public programs.
- Sports Galore: Engage in various sporting activities, including volleyball, softball, horseshoes, cricket, disc golf, and horseback riding.
- Boating: Launch your boat, rent canoes, kayaks, paddle, or rowboats, and discover the park from its tranquil waters.
- Fishing: Enjoy year-round fishing in the serene surroundings of the pond.
- Pavilions: Host gatherings at one of our five pavilions available for rent.
- Campground: Experience the newly renovated campground offering sites with three-point hookups (water, electric, and sewer).
- Dog Park: Let your furry friends roam freely in our off-leash dog park.
Join us on this remarkable journey as we continue to champion Lums Pond State Park, creating a lasting legacy for generations to come. Together, we can make a difference in preserving the natural wonders of our beloved park.